Thursday, December 18, 2014

Bad Dog Tavern - Chicago

Bad Dog Tavern - Chicago

The Bar: Bad Dog Tavern on Lincoln Street in Lincoln Square is located right in the heart of the Northside neighborhood.  This laid back tavern is a great atmosphere for trying one of their many craft beer selections, watching the Hawks game, or ordering up some of their Award Winning Wings.  Well this particular evening, I came in to do all three.  The bar is dark intimate setting, quite, good tunes playing, while the Blackhawks game is on multiple screens.  They even have a Christmas tree lite up.  Very festive.   Even on a Saturday night, my friends and I walked in and got a seat at the bar.  With 3 wings flavors to choose from, deciding which craft beer to pair with my wings with was more difficult than placing my wing order.
Ginger Soy

The Wings: Buffalo, Maple BBQ, and Ginger Soy are their 3 wing sauce options.  When rating wings, one of my first choices I usually go with buffalo.  One of my friends put in an order of the Ginger Soy, so we could trade a few so I could get a taste.  The wings themselves on both plates were jumbo, meaty, tender and a lot of sauce...so far so good.  As for the sauce, the buffalo sauce is exactly that...just very average buffalo sauce.  Nothing special about this sauce stands out.  In my opinion, the buffalo could use a little more flavor and heat.  I don't know if the award was for the buffalo sauce or not, but a little more spice would make everything nice.
 
Ginger soy is another story.  The first wing I had, made me want to order another plateful.  A seriously delicious combo, a little sticky, a little salty and sweet, not much spice but with wings soaking in a plateful of extra sauce, these will leave you with more than enough flavor, you'll forget the lack spice and focus on taste.  

Buffalo
Wing Night: 1/2 off apps Fri & Sat 9pm-12am (Wings on the appetizer menu).

Side Notes:
+ $3 Craft beer of the week every Wednesday.
- Just needs a little heat, but that's just me.

Moment of Truth and Why:

Overall: 3.5 Star Wings 
Temperature: 5
Size & Texture: 4
Flavor: 3.5
Heat: 2
Sauce Overall: 4
Ginger Soy: 4.5
Buffalo: 3.5



The Ginger Soy flavor raised the rating up from just an average hot wing.  Temperature served was just right.  The jumbo wing size, texture and tenderness is just what most wing eaters enjoy, but its missing that little bit of crispiness I like, but pretty damn good regardless.  Wings drenched with the sauce of your choice with the extra bit of sauce, you can see on the plate, for dipping more.  Buffalo flavor was just ok and Ginger Soy was great.  Just needs a little more heat and you got a 4 star wing joint.  I'll definitely be back.

Website: http://www.baddogtavern.com/index.html

Agree or Disagree?  What did you think of their wings?  Got a wing joint for me to check out?

Tweet me @chicagowingman

No comments:

Post a Comment