Sunday, December 14, 2014

Why Wings? and My Rating System

Buffalo wings have evolved into a culinary work of art.  Chefs use their creativity to create their wing sauces and flavors to stand out among the rest.  Who doesn't want to be known for having the #1 rated hot wings?  So I started thinking...since I love eating wings and checking out new places, why not tell you about my experiences.  For many years I've talked about writing about wings from all over Chicagoland and as I travel around the country and the world.  So welcome to the story of Chicago's Wingman.  Eat more wings.

I am just an average guy, living in an average suburb, with a good job, who is perfectly happy being the 9-5 guy.  For me, the hot wing is anything but...and when a friend once said to me "wings are wings", I decided to created this blog to describe the uniqueness of every wing joint I check out and every sauce and flavor I taste.   Everyone has their own favorite wing temperate, size, sauce, flavor, and heat.  I've made up a rating system I think covers all aspects of eating hot wing and hope to guide you to some great

What makes me qualified to rate and review the wings I eat?  Absolutely nothing.  I'm not a writer, I'm not a food critic, and I'm not a reporter or a "foodie". So welcome to the blog where hot wings are no long the appetizer to share with friends.  Wings are the main course.  Agree or disagree I hope you enjoy...

When I'm ordering wings I have 5 categories that I rate and review.

1. Temperature: When the wings are served are they warm, hot, or are the wings waiting to be served with whatever sauce I order.  I rarely find wings are served cold, but it has happened.  If I take wings to go I don't mind warming up a little to get my wings to right temperature.
1 star - served to me cold
2 star - need to be warmed up or they were under the warming lamp
3 star - not hot but not cold, better eat them fast
4 star - warm and ready to eat
5 star - hot and steaming, perfect temperature for me.

2. Size & Texture:  Who doesn't like jumbo wings.  Meaty and tender is what I'm looking for.  I do like crisy but points are lost if to soggy and to crunchy.  Over cooked, over fried, over grilled
1 star - small and dried out or small and soggy
2 star - small but tender or medium and dry
3 star - medium and tender
4 star - jumbo and tender or Jumbo and crispy
5 star - jumbo with the perfectly tender and crispiness into one bite

3. Sauce: Some like naked or over drenched with sauce.  I'm looking for just right  I don't want a wing to slip out of my hand and land on my pants because of to much sauce (who hasn't this happen too?)  or feel like I need to shower after I eat.  However, I don't want to ask for a side of sauce because there simply isn't enough.
1 star - Practically naked or need a bib
2 star - please bring me an extra side of sauce
3 star - could use more but not complaining
4 star - hey not bad at all, with a little extra on the plate for dipping
5 star - Ah...just right

4. Flavor: I like flavor, I like to taste what I'm eating.  To much garlic, to much ginger, to much smoky flavor can and does happen.  I'll let you know when I think that.
1 star - bland and flavorless, gotta give me something
2 star - some thing missing, just average
3 star - hey not bad but could use just a touch more of...
4 star - flavor packed and delicious
5 star - Wow! how can I even describe in words how good this flavor is?

5. Heat: Maybe you like a little heat, maybe a lot.  Well I all my food with a kick and spiced up, but not teary eyed where is the milk hot.
1 star - no heat or wow where is the milk?
2 star - pass the pepper.
3 star - average, a little spice makes everything nice
4 star - its heating up in here its great
5 star - nose is running but its so good.  glad my glass of water is near by.

Follow me on Twitter @chicagowingman and tweet me a place to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment