Friday, December 12, 2014

Wild Mountain Smokehouse & Brewery - Nederland, Colorado

Traveling this week.  Wild Mountain Smokehouse & Brewery - Nederland, Colorado

Wild Mountain Smokehouse & Brewery
I traveled to Boulder, Colorado to visit some family over the Thanksgiving holiday and attend the Utah v Colorado football game.  While there, I was told I had to check out Wild Mountain Smokehouse & Brewery located in "Ned".  Where is Nederland?  Up Boulder Canyon about 18 miles from downtown Boulder.  This small laid back town is know for the Frozen Dead Guy Days Festival in March but I'm here for the wings and its November.  Located in the heart of this little mountain town, this place was packed on an early Saturday evening.  But no surprise to the locals...cold beer was flowing and the smell of BBQ was in the air on a cold windy night.  Bar is small, yet cozy and although crowded we only waited about 15 minutes for a table.  As I sip on a home brewed Otis Pale Ale, I glance around the room, checking out all the dishes coming out of the kitchen.  I knew I was getting the wings but hey, I do like other food too.  I did sample some the pulled pork my Aunt ordered and the beef brisket my uncle ordered....


A dozen buffalo wings as served, smoked then grilled.
"Wings":   When it comes to wings, I typically don't think of BBQ joints, but these certainly did not disappoint.  Not to take away from any place in Boulder but the wings are worth the drive up to Ned.  They slowly smoke the marinated wings, then coat with buffalo or BBQ sauce and then tossed on the grill.  The wings have a little smoky taste to them but the meat falls off the bone.  You don't come across smoked then grilled wings to often so if you don't like the smokey taste, at least order 1/2 dozen, worth trying.  The sauce isn't bad, very average buffalo sauce.  Not much of kick.  They do have six BBQ sauces, which you can sample all of them for $2 extra, which isn't bad if your looking to find your flavor.  I mentioned I had an Otis Pale Ale but also had the Hop-Diggity IPA.


Wing Night: No mention of specials, but if in the area worth the stop no matter what time.

Side Note:
+A lot of great local & home brewed beers to choose from.
+A lot of BBQ sauces to chose from, probably should have gone that route.
-Buffalo sauce was a little weak, not much heat.
-Told us the wait would be 45-60 minutes, although I waited about 15 minutes to sit, we almost decided to leave.  Not much room to move around while you wait, bar seats about 6 people tightly.

Moment of Truth and Why:

Overall 3.5 Star Wings
Temperature: 4
Size & Texture: 4
Sauce: 2.5
Flavor: 4
Heat: 1

The smoked then grilled wings isn't something I come across to often.  The taste is a little smoky and only average buffalo sauce.  But 100% worth the drive up to Nederland from Boulder.

Follow me on twitter @chicagowingman

Got a favorite wing joint?  Tweet me and I'll check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment