Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Palmer Place: Restaurant & Biergarten - La Grange

Palmer Place is located on La Grange Rd. right in the middle of downtown of La Grange, IL

The Wing Joint:
56 S. La Grange Rd. La Grange, IL
Family owned since 1983, this popular family friendly atmosphere is a great place to grab one of hundreds of beers or one of their 33 signature  burgers, including my favorite, the Inferno Burger.  The  350 person capacity biergarten is one not to miss.  Its rated one of the best in the suburbs, ranked #4 in Chicagoland by Chicago Tribune, and my person favorite.  The newly added second floor outdoor patio over looks the many tables below filled with families, friends, co-workers, and neighbors.  The restaurant slogan "where neighbors become friends" rings true.  Inside: casual dining up front, bar in the back playing all the games on their many TV's.  With a ton going on in downtown La Grange, this a great lunch spot to take that much needed break from shopping or an early dinner and beer before heading the movies, which is just few doors down.  The craft beer selection is beyond impressive, serving up local, nationwide, and seasonal brews to specialty beers from around the world.  With 20 drafts and 260 bottle and can beers, there is one for every beer drinkers taste...if your over 21 that is.  They even carry Unita Brewing Company beers, my favorite Salt Lake brewery.  Hop Nosh IPA on draft, yes please.  With the burgers being so delish, it wasn't to hard to believe that I never had the wings before, but the time has come.  I'm here for the wings, so lets order.

The Wing Review:
The Wings as they arrive.
4 wing choices offered: Honey Mustard, BBQ Style, Buffalo Spicy, and Firey General Tso's.  Before I get to the sauces lets start with the wings themselves.  Temperature was served hot but cooled quickly.  First trip, the waitress only brought out 6 wings , 2nd trip out, she brought the rest.  That's an extra 2-3 minutes they sat out.  Do I nit-pick to much?  Wing size was medium to jumbo, a mix of both.  Great crispy crunch and the tenderness was just ok.  A few of the wings seemed a little over cooked, which lowered my rating.  The sauce amount was excellent, not only did the wings come nicely coated but they came with a small cup of extra sauce on the side without even asking.  Nicely done.  Now for my favorite part of reviewing wings: the flavor and heat that each sauce brings.  I ordered 3 of the 4 choices; the menu says BBQ Style is made with homemade sauce yet the waitress said it was Sweet Baby Rays...So those are out.  Honey Mustard is one of my favorite dipping sauces.  Great with chicken tenders or nuggets, but this was my first experience on wings.  No heat and they tasted just like your everyday honey mustard sauce.  A little sweet, but for me, there's nothing wrong with that.  You know what your getting with this order.  I don't see Honey Mustard wings offered to often but I'd get them again.
Buffalo Spicy
Buffalo Spicy has a nice kick, another classic sneak heat buffalo sauce.  The kick comes after a few bites in.  For the everyday wing eater the spice is just right.  A nice balance of heat and flavor here.  A 4 star flavor and worth ordering.  What's odd is of the 3 flavors I tried, Buffalo Spicy didn't come with the extra sauce.
Firey General Tso's
When you think of General Tso's chicken, many think hot, spicy, sticky sweet and sour, packed with so much flavor and heat your taste buds are on overload.  You're often glad some water or fresh cold beer is near by, but not here.  Extremely disappointing, I saved the Firey General Tso's wings for last thinking nothing else on the table could compare to heat and flavor as the name claims...boy was I wrong.  The sticky sweet and sour sauce part was there but where's the heat?  Waiting, still waiting...Seriously?  None?  That's right, no heat at all.  The Mexican egg rolls we order had more spice and heat.  Did they forget to add the spice ingredients?  You cant have a name like Firey General Tso's wings with no heat.  Call them sweet and sour sauce wings.  These get my lowest wing rating of this early 2015 and quite possibly of the year.  What a let down.

Wing Night: None


Side Notes:
+Seriously come for the beer selection and biergarten.
+Like burgers?  Try my favorite The Inferno Burger.
-Good luck getting a table on Friday or Saturday summer nights without waiting.
-Service has been known to be slow.  Even in the January, we had to ask for our server after being seated for almost 10 minutes.

Moment of Truth and Why:
Honey Mustard
Overall: 3-Star Wings 
Temperature: 3.5
Size & Texture: 3.5
Sauce: 5
Overall Heat: 3
Overall Flavor: 3
Honey Mustard: 3
Spicy Buffalo: 4
Firey General Tso's: 1






Summertime in the Biergarten
Ok here is the deal, this place is known for their awesome burgers and the summer biergarten atmosphere.  I used to live near by and can't even tell you how many times I've come for the beer selection and a burger with family or some buddies.  I love wings, obviously, but I never had 'em here before I started this Chicago Wingman project.  The wings are worth trying ,sure, but go ahead and share with a group of friends before the burgers arrive.  I wouldn't consider this a wing night spot.

Website: http://www.palmerplacebeer.com/
 
Follow me on twitter @chicagowingman

I'm always looking for a new wing joint, got a favorite?  Tell me about it and I'll check it out.  As always, hope this helps and enjoy.  See you at Chicago Wing Fest 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment