Sunday, January 11, 2015

Buffalo Joe's - Evanston

Buffalo Joe's has 3 locations just north of Chicago, this is the Clark St. in Evanston, IL

The Wing Joint:
Buffalo Joe's - Evanston
Most Chicago wing lovers know about Buffalo Joe's, this place is no joint.  Many say the wings are the best in Chicago, some say the best in America.  The Clark St. location is where I went, which is right downtown Evanston.  Its a small place, walk in and order, had a sample of homemade ham and potato soup while I wait, get my wings and sit down.  A few classic arcade games separate the counter and the dinning area that have a couple of TV's and about a dozen tables.  3 draft beers available.  They do have other menu items like burgers and beef sandwiches, but I'm here for wings.  So did everyone else in the joint as I looked around.  I went in around noon, during lunch hour, and noticed men and women in suits, tradesmen, an elderly couple, and even a young family were all eating these famous Buffalo Joe's Wings...if you have never been, it is must for all wing fans.

The Wing Review:
Spicy Wings
From Buffalo, New York, Buffalo Joe has created 4 wing sauces to choose: mild, spicy, suicide, and bbq.  Only 4 you might say, compared to some of the wing chains, but these sauces have been perfected.  Temperature was perfect, wings are cooked to order and come out steaming.  They are tender and crispy, just the way I love it.  I ordered the spicy and wow what a sauce.  A little tangy with great heat, the perfect amount for the everyday wing eater.  If you look closely you can see little bits of the pepper flakes.  As I started on my notes post meal, I could still feel the heat on my lips.  Hey, with this amazing taste of buttery tangy spicy wing sauce, I don't mind.  One negative, if you can even call it that, is the wing size.  The average wing size is small to medium.  In the picture to the right, there are 12 wings in my single order.  To be fully satisfied I could easily put down a half dozen more.  Celery served on ice is nice touch.  I've said it before and I'll say it again all wing fans need to go here.  One of my all time Top 5 wing joints for 2015 already.

Wing Night: None

Side Notes:
+ I hear the burgers and buffalo chips are a great choice if you are winged out.
- The location.  Whether coming from downtown or the burbs its not an easy place to get too.  The trip is always worth it, however.

Spicy flavor with a Miller Lite
Moment of Truth and Why:

Overall: 4.5 Star Wings 
Temperature: 5
Size & Texture: 4
Sauce: 5
Flavor: 5
Heat: 4.5

Not your average buffalo sauce, lots spice and flavor.  Spicy flavor and heat is just right for the average wing eater, as I mentioned before.  My only negative was the size of the wings.  A little more meat on these wings and this is 5 star wings.  Dare I try the Suicide on my next visit?

Website: http://buffalojoesevanston.com/

Wing It!
 




Follow me on twitter @chicagowingman

I'm always looking and listening for a new wing joint, got a favorite?  Tell me about and I'll check it out.  Hope this helps and enjoy.  Eat more wings!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wings look amazing... yum. I'll need to try Buffalo Joe's now!

    ReplyDelete